Monday, April 14, 2008

Freedom

So, in case you hadn't noticed, my previous post was an exercise in free speech and I suppose also freedom of the press--which, for the uneducated or unappreciative, gives me the right to employ the use of any words that I desire in order to express myself. This right is monumentally important in understanding why America is such a great country to live in as well as something that we as Americans tend to take for granted--especially in times like these when we feel oppressed by our government (and rightly so) when we should be looking towards the future with hope for change.

It's why I am able to verbally litter all over the internet despite the fact that what I have to say may not be important to anybody but me. But I am allowed to say it, for whatever reason, even with malicious intent in my heart if I so choose. Unfortunately, I oft times choose to express myself with a cynical view of the world. Over the last few days, however, I've been in a much more positive place, and I now strive to embrace the rights given to me by our forefathers and potentially give thanks for the protection I am granted by the government (when they want to--that was a joke, people, loosen up; I can still make them). 

I believe in an America where our children can grow up without fear, an America where people of all different ethnic backgrounds
and heritages can live together in harmony, and an America in which I can express myself freely, profess faith to whichever god I choose, or even no god at all, an America where I have the right to my privacy, an America in which I am given the opportunity to live freely in the pursuit of happiness for both my family and myself. 

Never give up on America. We are more than a country. We are a beacon of hope, a light in the darkness. We are built around ideas and the free expression of those ideas, whether someone else likes it or not. We are leaders for the world over. And now more than ever, it is crucial that we display our values. The world's getting smaller and that means that our generation is presented with the unique opportunity to help save it. Everyone's watching, let's try not to fuck this one up.

~Michael Carlos

P.S. You see how I slipped the expletive in there at the end. Yep, I still got it. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael! Your dad told me about your Monday gig and blog...it sounds like you've been up in the 'effin crabby cold North too long. LOL!

I don't write in shorthand, don't text, still have the first cell phone I bought once analog died and wouldn't know a facebook from a my space page.

But some things never change..I like your style... and your guitar playing doesn't suck, your father is STILL the king of crappy movies, and is still never on time for anything in his life except for work or a concert. These things are universal.

I have the DVD of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" anniversary edition. I'd be happy to loan it to you via snail mail. Lord knows, if you wait to watch it with Mikey Senior, you'll instead be watching reruns of Babylon 5 until you're ready to vomit. I cannot let this happen to you!

Please give my best to Kelly and keep those chowdah' heads screwed on properly in Beantown.

LETS GO METS!

<3 Lorraine

mcarlos89 said...

Hahaha. Wow. Thank you, I'm still finding it interesting that the most support I have received has been from family and friends that heard about it from Papa Bear. Thanks for the publicity, Dad, you should have gone into advertising.

Anyway, I'm still trying to define what it is that I want to project from this blog. It started with music and the show, and that didn't last long before I began ranting, which was more successful with people my age group, who are less responsive than the older generation--not that you are old, just more experienced in the ways of the world, by the way I've replaced lol with sswabc, which stands for smile slightly with a brief chuckle. I find it to be more indicative of what actually happens when reading something funny online. Lol has become almost filler-like at this point, but I digress.

Back to the point-- so now I find myself in the interesting place of having convictions about things that I haven't thought about before and having a media outlet open to me. Therefore, the blog is taking shape as a place for me to air my concerns and eventually maybe I'll get to the praises.

Anyway, all criticism as well as support is welcomed and I thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Hope you have a great spring and summer (who knows, maybe I'll even get to see you at some point)!

~Michael

P.S. The Mets kick ass. Period.

Anonymous said...

I think your blog is awesome, Michael. It shows great promise while you find where your writing and creativity you leads next! Just let it flow.

Of course, the times they are-a-changin'...With me, I simply walked into the local daily newspaper office, handed them unsolicited manuscripts of mine and told them why they should hire me.

Now, the opportunity for writers is endless! Some can begin as blogs, and many even stay there, very successfully. After all, the highly regarded Huffington Post is nothing more than a series of over-educated bloggers venting their spleens on a daily basis.

As you write, you grow. And people of ALL ages will respond to that. It just takes a bit of time.

I promise to catch your show next Monday. Keep up the good work and words (well, SOME words are not so 'effin' good...LOL!)I love LOL, BTW...anyhow...sswabc and think of me :)

PS...no eyebrows? no mercy? Am I missing something here?

<3 Lo

mcarlos89 said...

Thanks. Shoot me an e-mail at noeyebrowsnomercy@gmail.com with a song request and I'll play it on the show.

No eyebrows is a reference to the fact that I no longer have eyebrows due to the alopecia. No mercy is a reference to my no holding back approach to self expression.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Michael!

It's been fun corresponding and commenting on your blog with you. I am so glad that you are finding the key to your success and fun while at college. It seems to me you have hit the right combo. Just keep on chooglin' (vintage CCR) and have a blast. It's what college and life are all about.

And now......on to my musical request

I would like to request this song for a few different reasons. You spoke about the generation difference and how varying ages respond in different ways. That might be true in some instances, but not all. Of course, I am making a musical reference.

One of the BEST, most beloved and perhaps most covered songs of all-time is a personal favorite of mine. It doesn't matter who sings it, plays it, belches it or screams it. It still comes out with the same lament, passion and frustration of teenage angst. I am 16 again every time I hear it and must put my fist through the nearest wall.

Who has covered this gem?
The Beach Boys
The Who
Buddy Holly
Rush
Bon Jovi
Bobby Fuller

and (can you believe??) 70's crooner Olivia Newton-John and in this century, even country star Alan Jackson.

BTW...there are about 100 more covers, too numerous to mention. Check Wikipedia and the YOU TUBE of the original.....but I digress...

Now....What kind of a song would appeal to all of these random genres, you might ask? Perhaps Papa Bear might know. Perhaps not (tee hee!)

Check your email for the answer!

<3 Lo