Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bob Mould: Still Loud, Still Alive

On Thursday night, I went into Union Square in NYC to see Bob Mould, formerly of the bands Husker Du and Sugar, play the Fillmore at Irving Plaza in support of his new album, District Line. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I'd never seen him live and the reviews of his Chicago shows weren't very good according to my dad, who I brought to the show- he forgave me for ridiculing his poor movie choice.

We warmed up our musical palettes by watching U2 3D and browsing around in the local Virgin Megastore. Then, we nearly lost our appetite altogether when the opening act came on around 9. The band's name was Halou, and my father, in his infinite cleverness, said, "Halou, Goodbye." They blew. So we went down to the lobby and read press clippings from shows at the Fillmore during its heyday from 1968 to '71. That helped to pass the time for a while, but I'm an extremely impatient human being. I had arrived, so it only made sense that Bob Mould should accommodate me by going on immediately.

He didn't go on until almost 10:15, and it was well worth the wait. He played hard, loud, and fast the entire show. But the most incredible thing was how melodic he could keep the songs without losing that edge. We stumbled out of there and wandered down the block to the parking garage with our ears ringing from the sheer explosiveness of the music. I'm one more frequency down, but I got another great show under my belt.

No comments: